Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thursday's Quickie Review: Shapeshifter's Craving by Lee Pearce





Shapeshifter's CravingBy: Lee Pearce
(pub. Ellora's Cave 3/15/2010 25pp.)

Cost: Free
Review:

Characters

Kate, princess to the shapeshifters, and Aiden, her bodyguard, experience their first sexual encounter on the river shore after Kate gets it in her head to ask Aiden why he's never made a pass at her. Awaakwaaaard. Not for the characters really, but it was awkward to read it. Kate has the personality of a 13 year old girl and Aiden has probably been been lifting too many dumbbells since he then not only immediately makes a pass at her but then gets down to business right there at the side of the river. I'm not really sure where her brothers and sisters (who were swimming with them earlier) went during this interlude. I'd prefer to give it the benefit of the doubt and think they were alone during coitus.


Plot
The problem, though, is Aiden has a secret and Kate has a decision to make. I won't spoil the secret but Kate's decision is what animal she will choose to become her single shapeshifting form. Because apparently you have to pick one... You can't just continue to shift into anything you want... 


I don't know why. 


I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation...


But Kate STILL hasn't chosen one. Even though ALL her brothers and sisters did ages ago. SHE'S LATE. RUDE.


Overall I am glad this was a short book. The sex was less than exciting. I kept wondering if I was reading it too fast and missing some parts. I went back and reread it...and nope. I think my brain might have filled in a lot the first time around because the second read through was worse. The love story was subpar. All the elements for a great story were there but I think it missed making a connection with the reader.


Sexual Content: m/f


At A Glance:
1= Could not finish the book
2= A struggle to read to the finish
3=Meh. Average with all the elements I like in a book but nothing notable
4=I ended it with a smile on my face
5=Excellent. I want to read everything this author has ever written and when I finish all the books on my wishlist I will reread it.

No comments:

Post a Comment