Friday, January 27, 2012

Review: A Demon Does it Better by Linda Wisdom




A Demon Does it Better by: Linda Wisdom
Source: NetGalley
(Sourcebooks Casablanca 2012, 352 pages)

Blurb:
After more than a century, Doctor Lili Carter, witch healer extraordinaire, has returned to San Francisco and taken a job at Crying Souls Hospital and Asylum, where something peculiar and wicked his happening. Patients are disappearing, and Lil wants to know why.
AND DOUBLY DANGEROUS FOR A DEMON...
Lili finds herself undeniably attracted to perhaps the most mysterious patient of all-a demented but seriously sexy demon named Jared. What's behind the gorgeous chameleon demon's late-night escapades?
Before long, Lili and Jared are investigating each other-and creating a whole new kind of magic.


Review:
This being the sixth book in the series, but the first that I have read by this particular author, I am going to give a lot of leeway in this review. The background information that would have been recognized and appreciated in a book that had been read from the beginning of a series was lost on me. I may eventually pick up the first one to see if I appreciate the story more after learning about the world from the start. 
That being said, the author did do a good job of catching the reader up on the ins and outs of how this world works. I enjoyed the story overall between Lili and Jared and thought that it was a sweet romance that happened within the circumstances. 
My main problem with this book is the believability of those circumstances. Yes, yes it's paranormal romance and not believable to begin with. However, I couldn't help thinking through most of the story that the characters didn't really do as much as they could have with the situation. I felt that Lili could have explored other avenues on ways to help Jarod and the other patients but she seemed to be content to go about her job and moan a little on the side about what she was missing and what he may be suffering. I felt like I was more involved with the situation than perhaps she was. 
If you are looking for a light-hearted romance with a world you can pick up on pretty quickly then this is a good one for you. It would probably be something good to read on a plane.

Sexual Content: m/f


At A Glance:
1= Could not finish the book
2= A struggle to read to the finish
3=Meh. Average with all the elements I like in a book but nothing notable
4= I ended it with a smile on my face
5=Excellent. I want to read everything this author has ever written and when I
finish all the books on my wishlist I will reread it.


Challenges: 

No comments:

Post a Comment