Monday, January 16, 2012

Review: Kiss of Twilight by Loribelle Hunt

 Kiss of Twilight by: Loribelle Hunt
 Source: Galley from Carina Press
 (Carina Press, 2011, 88,000 words)



Blurb:
Dupree Jackson is everything a senior soldier of the Order of Templar should be. Cold. Unbreakable. A master at arms in the fight against demons. But as a hybrid, Dupree is beginning to lose himself to the demon half of his soul. One woman has the power to save him. If he lets her. Kara Stone wants two things in life: to be merged with a demon so that she can become a full member of the Order; and Dupree Jackson. She knows they are meant to be together, if only Dupree would love her back.
Though his desire for Kara is undeniable, Dupree's need to protect her is stronger. Not wanting to see her merge, to face the internal struggle he deals with every day, he refuses to bond with her. But when Kara becomes a target and uncovers a dark secret about her past, Dupree may no longer have a choice...

Review:
This book took a while for me to get into and understand what was going on with the characters. After about 100 pages I FINALLY felt like I understood how the world Dupree and Kara lived in actually worked and how the characters related to one another. I wouldn't say the book was slow to start because there was enough action to keep me entertained but I think I may have understood their world better if I has read the first book Kiss of Darkness.
The romance between Dupree and Kara was mediocre and didn't really have much of a sizzle. The main plot for the book was Dupree not wanting Kara to merge with a demon. I didn't feel like that was enough conflict for all the issues it created between them. There were several times while I was reading that I just wanted to tell the characters to grow up, get over it, and find a demon couples therapist. Oh wait...that was touched on but it didn't really help. The problem created so much hemming and hawing from Dupree that the strong characteristics that Kara had no longer held any weight when she kept putting up with the whining.I felt little affection for the main characters but eventually enjoyed the world that was created enough that I will give the author another try and hunt down the first book. Maybe it will make me appreciate this relationship a little more.

   
Sexual Content: m/f


At A Glance:
1= Could not finish the book
2= A struggle to read to the finish
3=Meh. Average with all the elements I like in a book but nothing notable
4= I ended it with a smile on my face
5=Excellent. I want to read everything this author has ever written and when I
finish all the books on my wishlist I will reread it.


Challenges:




No comments:

Post a Comment